As Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, we thought we’d share the love with some Valentine’s inspiration. Follow these 10 simple steps to create delicious cookies your Valentine will love:
Ingredients for biscuits
- 100g / 3.5oz soft unsalted butter
- 100g / 3.5oz caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg (lightly beaten)
- 275g / 10oz plain flour
- 1tsp vanilla
Ingredients for decorating
- 225g / 8oz icing sugar
- 2-3tbsp water
- 3-4 drops of food coloring
- Fun decorations
1. Preheat your oven to 190C / 375F /Gas 5. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
2. Cream the sugar and butter together in a bowl.
3. Gradually beat in the vanilla extract and egg, until the mixture is well combined.
4. Sift the flour into the mixture, and stir until it comes together as a dough.
5. Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough to a thickness of around 1cm / 1/3 inch
6. Use your heart shaped cookie cutters to cut biscuit out of the dough and place carefully onto your baking tray.
7. Bake your cookies in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden brown.
8. Set your cookies on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
9. Once your cookies are cool enough to decorate; make the icing. Sift the icing sugar into a bowl, and gradually add the water (you do not want your icing too runny). Mix in your food coloring.
10. Use a knife to spread the icing onto the cookies, and have fun decorating with your Valentines initials, love hearts, 100’s and 1000’s – you choose !
TOP TIP: Keep adding drops of food coloring to your icing, so you have a range of different shades.
To create the perfect pair of presents, make your Valentine a personalized photo mug, so once they’ve eaten the cookies they have a gift that keeps on giving!