How to write an awesome thank you note
Looking to express something a little stronger than a basic thank you? The hardest part of writing a thank you note, for many, is simply getting started. How do I begin the message? Does it sound fake? Can I say enough to fill the page?
Whether it’s a thank you message to all your wedding guests for attending your celebration or paying for your honeymoon, or a polite thank you for a Christmas or birthday gift. It might be a thank you note you’d like to write to your child’s teachers to show you appreciate their hard work, or even a thank you to all your family and friends who gathered at your loved one’s funeral. We’ve come up with many message options and ideas to show appreciation – for any occasion!
Christmas Thank You Messages
- Thank you so much for your thoughtful Christmas gift. I really appreciated it! Hope you have a awesome new year!
- Thank you for your wonderful Christmas gift! I love it so much and it fits me like a glove! You know me best!
- Many thanks for such a lovely & thoughtful Christmas gift! I hope you had a lovely Christmas and hope to catch up soon.
- Thanks for hosting Christmas this year. The delicious food, wine, and company were delightful! We felt truly spoilt and would like to say a big thank you for all the effort you put in. Next year it’s Christmas at ours! With love
- Somehow you knew exactly what I wanted. I can tell you put a lot of thought and effort into my Christmas present. Thank you so much!
- Thank you for being a awesome friend and for being so thoughtful with my Christmas gift.
Check out our collection of customized Christmas Thank You Card designs.
Wedding Thank You Messages
- Thank you so much for joining us on our wedding day. Having our friends and family there made the day truly unforgettable. We were thrilled with your kind gift, it’s adorable!
- So sorry that you couldn’t make the wedding. We had a lovely day and were thinking about you. You were truly missed, and we are so appreciative for the gorgeous gift you sent us.
- Thank you so much for attending our wedding! We had a lovely day and were so happy that you were there. We are so grateful for your generous gift. Thanks again!
- We are so grateful that you travelled so far to be with us on our wedding day. We know that it was a long trip, and it meant the world to us that you were there. We hope you had a awesome time. Thanks again for making it a truly special day.
- Thank you for being there on our wedding day! We loved having you at this important occasion. Thanks for helping to make our wedding day unforgettable. We couldn’t have done it without you!
- Thank you so much for being a part of our wedding day. It meant the world to us that we could celebrate it with you. You helped make it truly memorable.
- Thanks so much for the fabulous wedding gift. We are very grateful for your generosity. It was lovely to see you and we really hope you enjoyed the day as much as we did.
- Thank you for being a part of our wedding. It meant so much to see your smiling faces in the pews, and to have a chance to catch up at the reception. We can’t tell you how much it meant to have you there to celebrate it with us.
- Thanks for being an important part of our special day, and the best bridesmaid/usher ever! Having you as part of our wedding meant so much to us.
- What a awesome wedding day! It truly wouldn’t have been the same without you! Thank you for all your help. You’ll always be a special part of our wedding memories.
- Thank you for your support in planning our wedding day! Everything ran like clockwork! Thank you for going above and beyond for us!
Check out our collection of customized Wedding Thank You Card designs.
Thank You Cards For Teachers & School Staff
- If there were a Nobel Prize for Best Teacher, I’m sure you would get it! Thank you for being a fantastic, caring and inspiring teacher to [child name] this year.
- It takes a big heart to shape little minds, and loads of patience too! Thank you [teacher name]!
- You are so much more than a teacher to me [teacher name]. I can’t thank you enough, so please accept this small present to show my appreciation.
- Thank you for all the kindness, understanding and patience you have given [child name] this year. We really wanted to tell you that we are very grateful for your positive energy and not giving up on him/her.
- Thanks for being a awesome teacher. You’ve had a real positive influence on [child name] – we can see how much s/he has grown and matured this year. Thank you very much!
- Thank you for all the encouraging words, inspiring ideas, and alternative learning methods you came up with to support [child name] – you’ve really helped her/his knowledge and confidence grow. We are very grateful, thank you.
- Thanks for putting up with my son/daughter this year! Enjoy your break [teacher name]!
Check out our collection of customized Teacher Thank You Card designs.
Birthday Thank You Wishes
- Thank you for your lovely present/card. Let’s pretend it never happened so that I can still be 21 next year!
- To you, my best friend – thank you for the birthday wishes!
- Thanks for the birthday wishes to anyone who noticed my name in your Facebook alerts today 😊.
- Perfect card mate! It made me laugh so much,
- Thanks [name]. There is nothing more to say about your truly awful birthday card, except your birthday is next!
To find many more birthday message ideas, please read our special Birthday Thank You card messages blog post. Don’t forget to check out our collection of customized Birthday Thank You Card designs.
Funeral Thank You Messages
- Thank you for your love and support through everything.
- Thank you so much for your warm words of comfort.
- Thank you for sharing in the celebration of [name’s] life. Our whole family appreciates your support.
- Thank you for the stories and memories you shared with us all at the funeral. They truly helped our family and highlighted what a special person [name] was.
- Your words of condolence were so kind and very much appreciated. You’re such a thoughtful friend, and it meant so much to have you with us.
- Thank you for your support at this difficult time. Your love and friendship made such a difference to [name].
- Thank you for the sympathy card, note, and flowers you sent when [name] passed away. You’ve always been a good friend and it means a lot that you are there for us.
- Thank you for helping me when [name] passed away. I am so glad you were there for me and put the effort in to help me through a tough time. I am grateful for your support and I know he would be too. Thank you.
Check out our collection of customized Thank You Card designs for bereavement.
Graduation Thank You Messages
- Thank you so much for remembering my graduation. Also thank you for your generous gift. I know I will be putting it to use very soon.
- Thank you for remembering my graduation. Your card was very thoughtful. Looking forward to seeing you soon.
- Thank you so much for being there for me throughout the years and celebrating my graduation with me.
- Thank you for the money. I promise I won’t spend it on beer! I would also like to thank you for attending my graduation and coming to the reception. I can’t wait to see you again at our next family get-together.
- Thanks for all the encouragement and support. I would have never been able to graduate without your help; you are and will always remain the most important people in my life.
- Words can barely describe how grateful I am for your support throughout my time at university.
- Thank you for the beautiful card and gift on my graduation. See you again soon!
- Thank you for brightening my graduation day with your presence. It was so nice of you to come and I hope you enjoyed it.
Check out our collection of customized Thank You Card designs for Graduation.
Short Thank You Quotes For Cards
Using a handwritten thank you note to express your gratitude is one of the most personal ways to show your appreciation. The time and effort you put into creating your sentiment will only be more obvious with the addition of a short thank you message. Your card can say more than just “thank you”.
- “You’ve always believed in me. Thank you!” —Anonymous
- “Thank you for being an important part of my story.” —Anonymous
- “Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.” —Mark Twain
- “There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.” —Anonymous
- “When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed.” —Maya Angelou
A awesome way to up your thank you card game is by specifically calling out what you have to be thankful for. Quotes provide a source of inspiration for your personalized thank you card and help show your gratitude when you may be at a loss for words.
- “Never let the things you want make you forget the things you have.” —Anonymous
- “The real gift of gratitude is that the more grateful you are, the more present you become.” —Robert Holden
- “A moment of gratitude makes a difference in your attitude.” —Bruce Wilkinson
- “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.” —Cicero
- “Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other.” —Randy Pausch
Using a quote about appreciation in thank you notes recognises your card recipient in a one-of-a-kind way, especially if you’re sending Christmas thank you cards, New Baby Thank You’s or even Teacher Appreciation cards.
- “You changed my life without even trying, and I don’t think I could ever tell you how much you mean to me. I can’t imagine what things would be like if I hadn’t met you.” —Steve Maraboli
- “I appreciate you more because of the road I’ve travelled. My story brought me to you and I wouldn’t revise a word of my past if it led me anywhere but to your door.” —Aaron Polson
- “Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” —Voltaire
For more customized thank you card ideas, browse our thank you cards. If you’re looking for something thoughtful to offer with your card, take a look at our wide selection of thoughtful thank you gifts.
Ready to get started? We can’t wait to see your wonderful thank you cards! Tag us with @snapfish and #snapfishus when you share your photos on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. You can watch some of our How To tutorials on YouTube as well.