Christmas is just around the corner and that means it’s time to start getting into the festive spirit. One fun way to do this is by participating in Elf on the Shelf. If you’re not familiar with Elf on the Shelf, it’s a tradition where you hide an elf toy in a new spot around your house each day for your children to find. Not only is it a great way to get your kids excited for Christmas, but it’s also a fun way to get them involved in some festive mischief.
If you’re looking for a fun way to celebrate Elf on the Shelf this Christmas, we’ve got some great ideas for you! Here are some tips on how to make the most out of Elf on the Shelf, including some great hiding places.
1. Get an elf that your kids will love.
This is the most important part of Elf on the Shelf! You want to make sure you choose an elf that is cute and cuddly so your kids will be excited to find it each day. There are lots of different elves to choose from, so take your time and pick one that you know your kids will love.
2. Come up with creative elf names.
Once you have your elf, it’s time to name him or her. This is half of the fun! Get creative and come up with something unique that will make your elf stand out from all the others.
3. Hide your elf in creative places.
This is where the real fun begins! Each day, hide your elf in a new spot around your house. Make sure to mix things up so your kids never know what to expect. You can even get creative and hide your elf in places outside of your house if you want to really mix things up.
Creative hiding places for your family’s elf that aren’t on the shelf
- Inside the Christmas card wreath
- Tucked in amongst the kids’ toys
- Inside a cereal box
- Next to the Christmas tree ornaments or amongst the presents underneath
- Hanging from the curtains
- Sat in the mugs in the kitchen cupboard
- Hanging down from the chimney
- Hiding inside (or eating) the ginger bread house
- Sticking out of the letter box
- Poking out of their Christmas stockings
- Behind the television or computer
- Inside a shoe
- Eating your dog’s or cat’s food
Don’t forget to document all of the fun by taking lots of pictures! This is a great way to keep track of all the different places your elf has been and all the mischief they have got into. You can even create an Elf on the Shelf photo book, Christmas decorations, fridge magnets, and keyrings with message from your elf alongside favourite photos for truly unique stocking stuffers.
How did you have fun with your elf on a shelf this year?
We love seeing what you come up with! Please tag us @SnapfishUS and #snapfish on Facebook, Instagram & Pinterest. Check out the Snapfish site for even more custom gift ideas.